There’s no doubt that most Americans like their fast food. A 2013 Gallup survey reported that 8 in 10 Americans eat #fastfoodmonthly, and almost half confessed to eating it at least once a week. Let’s look at 10 horrifying #ingredientsthat should flip your appetite for a #BigMac.
1. Ammonium sulfate #ammoniumsulfateis an inorganic salt used as a fertilizer and flame retardant, and it is also added to #monsantosRoundup herbicide.
2. #siliconeoilIf you are a chicken nuggets lover then you are a regular consumer of dimethylpolysiloxane, also known as silicone oil. Silicone oil is a synthetic material used to make contact lenses, caulking, silly putty and lubricants.
3. Cysteine-L #cysteinelis an amino acid synthesized from human hair or duck feathers. It is used to flavor #meatand soften bread and pastries
4. TBHQ #TBHQ, or tertiary butylhydroquinone, is a petroleum-based additive found in cosmetic products and 18 different #mcdonaldsmenu items
5. #propyleneglycolFound in anti-freeze, e-cigarettes and fast food, propylene glycol can cause damage to the central nervous system and worsen existing allergies and eye and skin conditions.
Researchers at the Johns Hopkins University found alarming levels of #antidepressantsand other prescription, over-the-counter and banned drugs in #chickenfeed and chicken products from fast food restaurants.
#dimethylpolysiloxaneis also utilized in the production of silly putty, contact lenses, caulking.
8. #carminicacidUntil 2009, carmine, cochineal extract or natural red 4, were classified as “natural dyes.” These days, however, the #fdarequires carmine and cochineal extract to be explicitly identified in ingredient lists because they can cause severe allergic reactions in some people.
9. #celluloseWhile cellulose may be a natural product produced from wood pulp, who wants to eat lots of indigestible wood fibers? Cellulose is added to nearly every fast food item as a way to add volume.
Also known as silica or industrial sand.
Learn more about #toxicfoodingredients at Ingredients.news